Friday, March 27, 2009

The simple side of saving money

During the early days of my marriage, when trying to learn to take care of a family on a very tight budget, and before I had discovered the wonders of blogs such as moneysavingmom, I struggled at times to find ways to buy everything we needed with the money I had. I bought all our groceries on sale and occasionally used coupons if they were for something I absolutley needed, but some weeks there just wasn't enough money to go around.

It was on these difficult weeks that I would sometimes find the best ways to save money. For instance, during a particularly difficult time I decided to do away with paper towels in our home. I can't tell you how anxious this decision made me at first. We had always kept paper towels stocked and I always believed them to be a neccessity for us. When you are used to having an item like paper towels around, it is sometimes hard to picture life without them. However, once they weren't there, I discovered they were not necessary at all! My life was actually no harder without them, I was saving money, and as an added perk, my trash can was filling up much slower, which made me feel less wasteful!

Now I can't imagine wasting money on paper towels. Some households may not be able to eliminate paper towels from their daily life, but I urge everyone to take a look at their daily routine and see if there isn't something you too can do away with to save yourself some money. Once you have learned to live without these things it will be the easiest way you save money in your daily life!

What have you done away with to save money?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete